Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Blogpost 5


Rofes believes that there needs to be more changes done for the LGBT community to be accepted. There are liberal and radical approaches, and liberal approaches are more common. The problem though is that liberal approaches do not bring radical change. It is true that liberal approaches are more common. Many high schools have GSA’s and support systems for students. There are also many websites, support centers, and programs for LGBT people. Rofes thinks that there needs to be more education for the people against LGBT people. Those people are the problem. LGBT people are not causing any problems.

My junior year of high school, students at my high school tried to create a GSA. The students who were trying to create the club were all close friends and they told me about all the backlash the principal gave them about the GSA. In the end, the principal allowed the GSA to be formed. Unfortunately, my senior year, seven of the eight founder of the club graduated and the person left in charge of the club stopped caring about it. They only held one meeting the entire school year. A reason the GSA was not a priority was because the president my senior year was not LGBT and did not feel any discrimination. I think that no matter what, people should care about the hardships LGBT people go through. They may not be public, but problems still happen.

When I in vision the school that I will be teaching in, I think of a school that is very accepting of students. I would hope that the staff and faculty were open minded and supportive of all students regardless of race, sexual identity, or identity. I would want to be a teacher that was welcoming to all and a safe haven to all students. I would listen to students’ problems and support them. I would also have a zero tolerance for bullying of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment