Wednesday, October 26, 2016

BLOG POST 6

For homework, we were assigned to read chapter 8 of the book, Educational Foundations. While we were reading, we were told to put post it notes in sections of the book that interested us, caused us to have questions, or areas where we were confused. When I was reading, I put a post it note on page 104 for the first paragraph. The section is about how teachers make students into “receptacles” who memorize information and regurgitate it. I put a sticky note there because I agreed with the idea. I think that teachers sometimes just teach to the test or relay information. They do not care if you understand it, they just want you to do well on the test.

I brought that up in class when we were broken up into different groups. My partners agreed with me. We both felt like many teachers just stand and lecture and expect students to spit back the information. To me, that is not what learning is. Yes, there needs to be some lecture but there should also be discussion. There should also be application of the material so students can see what the know and apply the material before they take an exam on it. This seems to be a problem in college because there are so many lecture classes and for some classes, the only hands on application or discussion is when students are taking an exam.  Education is not just depositing information, but reflecting on the information and drawing new conclusions or asking questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment